Lesson 1-GETTING TO KNOW THE WORK AREA
- Use the Welcome screen.
- Open an Adobe Illustrator CS5 file.
- Select tools in the Tools panel.
- Work with panels.
- Use viewing options to enlarge and reduce artwork.
- Navigate multiple artboards and documents.
- Understand rulers.
- Work with Document groups.
Lesson 2 -SELECTING AND ALIGNING
- Differentiate between the various selection tools and employ different selection techniques.
- Recognize smart guides.
- Clone items with the Selection tool.
- Hide and lock items for organizational purposes.
- Save selections for future use.
- Group and ungroup items.
- Work in isolation mode.
- Use tools and commands to align shapes and points to each other and the artboard.
- Arrange content.
- Select behind content.
Lesson 3 - CREATING AND EDITING SHAPES
- Create a document with multiple artboards.
- Use tools and commands to create basic shapes.
- Work with drawing modes.
- Use rulers and smart guides as drawing aids.
- Scale and duplicate objects.
- Join and outline objects.
- Edit strokes with the Width tool.
- Work with the Shape Builder tool.
- Work with Pathfinder commands to create shapes.
- Use Live Trace to create shapes.
Lesson 4 - TRANSFORMING OBJECTS
- Add, edit, rename, and reorder artboards in an existing document.
- Navigate artboards.
- Select individual objects, objects in a group, and parts of an object.
- Move, scale, and rotate objects using a variety of methods.
- Work with smart guides
- Reflect, shear, and distort objects.
- Adjust the perspective of an object.
- Apply a distortion filter.
- Position objects precisely
- Repeat transformations quickly and easily.
- Copy to multiple artboards.
Lesson 5 - DRAWING WITH THE PEN AND PENCIL TOOLS
- Draw curved lines.
- Draw straight lines.
- Use template layers.
- End path segments and split lines.
- Select and adjust curve segments.
- Create dashed lines and add arrowheads.
- Draw and edit with the Pencil tool.
Lesson 6 - COLOR AND PAINTING
- Use color modes and color control
- Create, edit, and paint with colors using the Control panel and shortcuts.
- Name and save colors, create color groups, and build a color palette.
- Use the Color Guide panel and the Edit Colors/Recolor Artwork features.
- Copy paint and appearance attributes from one object to another.
- Create and paint with patterns.
- Work with Live Paint.
Lesson 7 - WORKING WITH TYPE
- Import text.
- Create columns of type.
- Change text attributes.
- Use and save styles.
- Sample type.
- Wrap type around a graphic.
- Reshape text with a warp.
- Create text on paths and shapes.
- Create type outlines.
Lesson 8 - WORKING WITH LAYERS
- Work with the Layers panel.
- Create, rearrange, and lock layers, nested layers, and groups.
- Move objects between layers.
- Paste layers of objects from one file into another
- Merge layers into a single layer.
- Apply a drop shadow to a layer.
- Make a layer clipping mask
- Apply an appearance attribute to objects and layers
- Isolate content in a layer.
Lesson 9 - WORKING WITH PERSPECTIVE DRAWING
- Understand perspective drawing.
- Use and edit grid presets.
- Draw and edit objects in perspective.
- Edit grid planes and content.
- Create and edit text in perspective.
- Attach symbols to perspective.
Lesson 10 - BLENDING COLORS AND SHAPES
- Create and save gradients.
- Add colors to a gradient.
- Adjust the direction of a gradient blend.
- Adjust the opacity of color in a gradient blend.
- Create smooth-color blends between objects.
- Blend the shapes of objects in intermediate steps.
- Modify a blend, its path, shape, and color.
Lesson 11 - WORKING WITH BRUSHES
- Use the four brush types: Art, Calligraphic, Pattern, and Bristle.
- Apply brushes to paths created with drawing tools.
- Paint and edit paths with the Paintbrush tool.
- Change the brush color and adjust brush settings.
- Create new brushes from Adobe® Illustrator® artwork.
- Work with the Blob Brush tool and the Eraser tool.
Lesson 12 - APPLYING EFFECTS
- Use various effects like Pathfinder, Distort & Transform, Offset Path, and Drop Shadow effects.
- Use Warp effects to create a banner logotype.
- Use Photoshop effects to add texture to objects.
- Create 3D objects from 2D artwork.
- Map artwork to the surfaces of 3D objects.
Lesson 13 - APPLYING APPEARANCE ATTRIBUTES AND GRAPHIC STYLES
- Create and edit an appearance attribute.
- Add a second stroke to an object.
- Reorder appearance attributes and apply them to layers.
- Copy, turn on and off, and remove appearance attributes.
- Save an appearance as a graphic style.
- Apply a graphic style to an object and a layer.
- Apply multiple graphic styles to an object or layer.
Lesson 14 - WORKING WITH SYMBOLS
- Apply symbol instances.
- Create a symbol.
- Modify and redefine a symbol.
- Use the symbolism tools.
- Store and retrieve artwork in the Symbols panel.
- Work with symbols and Adobe Flash.
Lesson 15 - COMBINING ILLUSTRATOR CS5 GRAPHICS WITH OTHER ADOBE APPLICATIONS
- Differentiate between vector and bitmap graphics.
- Place linked and embedded Adobe Photoshop graphics in an Adobe Illustrator file.
- Create and edit a clipping mask.
- Create a clipping mask from compound paths.
- Make an opacity mask to display part of an image.
- Sample color in a placed image.
- Replace a placed image with another, and update the document.
- Export a layered file to Adobe Photoshop.