Learn to use Photoshop to create and optimize graphics specifically for web and user interface (UI) design. We'll cover Photoshop's web design features: artboards, grids, image saving options, and more. You'll be able to turn wireframes into visually stunning, responsive UI designs that are sure to engage your audience.
This course focuses on generating content for web and UI and does not cover image retouching or color correction. Students interested in those topics should explore our many Photoshop options, such as Photoshop Bootcamp and Photoshop in a Day. For more information on topics covered in class, see the syllabus below.
This course is offered at our design school, Noble Desktop. View upcoming dates and register for this course directly on Noble Desktop’s website.Register at nobledesktop.com
Video Training and Workbook Included
Students get a workbook and lifetime access to self-paced training videos, a $95 value.
Modern computer classroom with your choice of Mac or PC to work on.
Small In-Person Classes
Get personalized attention in small groups with an expert instructor in the classroom.
Refresh the course materials within six months for free as long as there's space in the class.
What You'll Learn
- Use Photoshop to create and optimize graphics for web and user interface design
- Create wireframes and turn them into finished designs that are optimized for mobile, tablet, and desktop screens
- Learn how to design on grids, extract image assets, create hi‑res 2x graphics, and more
“Eugene was great! Knowledgeable, professional and concise. A great trainer who has a gift for relevant imparting techniques, tips and correlating personal experience to the learning material. Passionate about this class. Thank you.”
Full Course SyllabusDownload PDF Outline
Creating New Files & Designing on a Grid System
- Setting Preferences & Workspace
- Creating a New Document
- Creating a Grid
- Designing with Bootstrap’s Grid
- Viewing at Accurate Size
- Creating Colored Backgrounds for Text
- Importing Text
Adding Photos & Editing the Layout
- Changing the Page’s Background Color
- Importing Photos
- Changing Canvas Size
- Grouping Layers
Adding Page Navigation & Editing Smart Objects
- Creating a Navbar
- Adding a Stroke
- Changing Opacity
- Importing Vector Graphics from Adobe Illustrator
- Editing a Vector-Based Smart Object in Illustrator
- Editing a Pixel-Based Smart Object in Photoshop
- Content-Aware Fill
- Swapping Out Graphics
Text Styling & Adjusting Images Behind Text
- Adding a Drop Shadow to Type
- Darkening a Background Photo to Make Text More Legible
Adapting a Webpage Layout for Tablets
- Copying the Desktop Design into the Tablet File
- Adjusting Elements to Fit the New Dimensions
- Cropping the Canvas
Adapting a Webpage Layout for Mobile Phones
- Copying the Tablet Design into the Mobile Phone File
- Adjusting Elements to Fit the New Dimensions
Optimizing for Web: JPEGs & HiDPI/Retina Graphics
- Using Save for Web
- Optimizing Photos for Low-Res Screens
- Optimizing Photos for Hi-Res (HiDPI/Retina) Screens
- Compression Settings for 1x & 2x Versions
- Saving File Size When Optimizing 2x Graphics
Optimizing for Web: PNG vs. GIF
- 8-Bit File Formats: GIF vs. PNG-8
- PNG-24: Save For Web’s Only Choice for Partial Transparency
- Properly Optimizing Colors: Limited Colors vs. Gradients vs. Black & White
- Making a 1x from a 2x Graphic
Extracting Assets from a Design
- Pros & Cons of the Extract Assets Panel
- Creating PNG, GIF, & JPEG Files from a Design
- Extracting PNG-8 with Partial-Transparency
- The Proper Way to Extract 1x and 2x Graphics
- Why Photoshop Sometimes Exports Low-Res JPEGs & How to Fix It
Designing in 2x Photoshop Files
- Designing at 2x versus 1x
- Turning a Wireframe into a Real Design
- Setting Anti-Aliasing & Hyphenation
- Using Clipping Masks to Crop an Image
- Aligning to a Selection
- Creating, Applying, & Editing Paragraph Styles
Masking Photos & Visual Effects
- Importing & Cropping Photos (Masking)
- Colorizing Icons (Vector Smart Objects) in Photoshop
- Adding Effects Such as Stroke, Inner Shadow, & Gradient Overlay
- Copying Effects to Other Layers
- Fill Opacity
Optimizing Graphics in a 2x Design
- SACHow Extract Assets in a 2x File Differs from a 1x File
- Layer Based Slices
- Custom Sized Slices
Frequently Asked Questions
Do I need to bring a computer?
No. We provide a computer with the necessary software for each attendee. Choose a Mac or a PC during the checkout process.
Are discounts available for this course?
No. This course is not eligible for any discounts.
We offer discounts for packages of classes, including our Excel Bootcamp, SQL Bootcamp, Data Analytics, and PowerPoint Bootcamp.
We also provide discounts for ten or more classes purchased together. Please reach out for more information on our voucher programs.
Does this course come with a book?
Yes. This course includes a complimentary book or manual at no additional cost.
What if I need to retake this course? May I retake it for free?
Yes. You may retake this course for free once within six months, provided that the class is running with an available seat. For more information, visit our policies page.
Photoshop for the Web & UI
Create & Optimize Graphics for Websites & UI (User Interface)
Learn how to use Photoshop to create and optimize graphics for web and user interface design. This course does not cover image retouching, color correction, or print design. We hone in UI design, helping you turn wireframes into incredible designs for the web.
You’ll learn modern techniques, including new features added to Photoshop CC. By the end of this course, you'll be able to turn wireframes into completed designs. We'll help you design responsive website layouts optimized for mobile, tablet, and desktop screens of all sizes. We'll design on grids, extract image assets, create hi-res 2x graphics, and more.
This is the ultimate Photoshop for web/UI course. In addition to learning key features and techniques, we’ll cover essential workflow tips and tricks, and you'll learn to efficiently create professional designs that are easier for developers to code!
Rated the Best Photoshop Courses in New York City
- Practical and hands-on training focused on real-world applications of Photoshop
- Engaging and interactive instructors
- Proprietary course manual and shortcut sheets
- Small class sizes for personalized attention