AutoCAD is a suite of popular CAD (Computer Aided Design) software products for 2 and 3-dimensional design and drafting. Developed by Autodesk, the AutoCAD family of products has become the most widely used CAD software in the world. AutoCAD is a vector graphics drawing program, and it uses entities such as lines, polylines, circles, arcs, and text as the foundation for more complex objects. AutoCAD's native file format, AutoCAD DWG, and its interchange file format, DXF, have become the de facto gold standard in the industry for the interchange of 2D CAD data.
In this beginner AutoCAD class, you'll learn basic drawing and modifying techniques for drafting and technical drawing, using AutoCAD to create drawings that can be used to build real objects both mechanical and architectural.
You'll learn the basic methods of printing and plotting layouts and sheets, how to work between model space and paper space, and how to scale drawings through viewports. Master techniques for inserting blocks, making text, dimensioning drawings, and working with layers and templates.
Corporate training available
Video Training and Workbook Included
Students get a workbook and lifetime access to self-paced training videos, a $95 value.
Modern computer classroom with a PC for each student to work on.
Small In-Person Classes
Get personalized attention in small groups with an expert instructor in the classroom.
Refresh the course materials within six months for free as long as there's space in the class.
Full Course SyllabusDownload PDF Outline
1: Getting Started with AutoCAD
- Opening and Creating Drawings
- Exploring the AutoCAD interface
- Zooming and Panning
2: Basic Drawing & Editing Commands
- Using the Mouse, Keyboard, and Enter Key to work quickly and efficiently in AutoCAD
3: Projects - Creating a Simple Drawing
- Creating Simple Drawings
- Using Object Snap Tracking to extrapolate a projected top view
- Using Modify tools to arrange an office layout
4: Drawing Precision in AutoCAD
- Polar and Ortho Tracking
- Entering Coordinates and Angles
- Object Snaps and Tracking
5: Making Changes in Your Drawing
- Using the reference option with the Scale Tool
6: Drawing Templates
- Using Template Files (.dwt) to Make New Drawing
- Exploring what Settings and Elements are saved with Templates
7: Organizing Your Drawing with Layers
- Layer States
- Properties by Layer
- Layer Tools
8: Advanced Object Types
9: Analyzing Model and Object Properties
- The Properties Palette
- Quick Select
- Select Similar
- Measure Geometry Tools
10: Projects - Drawing Organization & Information
- Drill Plate
- Furniture Showroom
11: Advanced Editing Commands
- Trim and Extend
- Fillet and Chamfer
- Polyline Edit and Spline
- Offset and Explode
12: Inserting Blocks
- The Insert Block Command
- Inserting Blocks with Tool Palettes
- Dynamic Blocs
- Migrating Blocks and other Elements between Drawings with Design Center
13: Projects - Creating More Complex Objects
- Starting a Floor Plan
14: Setting Up a Layout
- Using Layouts and Viewports
- Scaling Viewports
- Model Space vs. Paper Space in Layouts
15: Printing Your Drawing
- Printing from Layout Tabs
- Printing from the Model Tab
16: Projects - Preparing to Print
- Making Layouts for a Banquette Hall
- The Multiline Text Tool
- The Single Line Text Tool
- Editing Text
- Text in Model Space vs. Paper Space
- The Multileader Tool
- The Hatch Command
- The Hatch Editor Ribbon Tab
- Saving and Applying Hatches with Tool Palettes
19: Adding Dimensions
- Using Dimensioning Tools
- Dimensioning in a Layout Tab vs. the Model Tab
- Using Dimension Styles
- Editing Dimensions
20: Projects - Annotating Your Drawing
- Dimensioning a Mechanical Drawing
Frequently Asked Questions
Do I need to bring a computer?
No. We provide a computer with the necessary software for each attendee. This course is available on Windows PC only.
Are discounts available for this course?
No. This course is not eligible for any discounts.
We offer discounts for packages of classes, including our Excel Bootcamp, SQL Bootcamp, Data Analytics, and PowerPoint Bootcamp.
We also provide discounts for ten or more classes purchased together. Please reach out for more information on our voucher programs.
Does this course come with a book?
Yes. This course includes a complimentary book or manual at no additional cost.
What if I need to retake this course? May I retake it for free?
Yes. You may retake this course for free once within six months, provided that the class is running with an available seat. For more information, visit our policies page.