CSS Flexbox and CSS Grid are two powerful ways to lay out content on a webpage. Flexbox and Grid are newer CSS layout technologies that make it easier to create responsive layouts, which adapt to any screen size.
Design Responsive Webpages
Optimize your websites for mobile, tablet, and desktop using CSS Flexbox and Grid.
In this class, you’ll learn how to use Flexbox and Grid to lay out and align webpage content, making it adapt to different screen sizes. Learn when to use one technique over the other, and how to get the most out of each one.
Prerequisites: HTML and CSS experience equivalent to our Web Development Level 2 class.
This course is offered at our design school, Noble Desktop. View upcoming dates and register for this course directly on Noble Desktop’s website.Register at nobledesktop.com
Video Training and Workbook Included
Students get a workbook and lifetime access to self-paced training videos, a $95 value.
Modern computer classroom with your choice of Mac or PC to work on.
Small In-Person Classes
Get personalized attention in small groups with an expert instructor in the classroom.
Refresh the course materials within six months for free as long as there's space in the class.
What You'll Learn
- CSS Flexbox for laying out and aligning webpage content
- CSS Grid for an entirely new way to think about laying out entire webpages
- Learn how to use and skin Bootstrap (which uses Flexbox) to build out layouts quickly
Full Course SyllabusDownload PDF Outline
Intro to Flexbox
- Display Flex
- Alignment & Distribution on Main Axis & Cross Axis
- Flex Direction (Row & Column)
- How Auto Margins Are Useful
Flexbox: Sizing & Alignment
- Controlling Size with Flex-Grow, Flex-Shrink, & Flex-Basis
- Aligning All vs. Specific Flex Items
- Nesting Flexbox
- Flex Shorthand
Flexbox: Vertical Centering on a Full Screen Background
- Creating a Full Screen Background
- Using Viewport Sizing Units vh & vw
- Vertically Aligning Content With Flexbox
- Darkening the Background Image Via CSS
- Sizing Flex Items (Flex-Grow & Flex-Basis)
Flexbox: Reordering Content
- Changing the Order of Flex Items
- Positive vs. Negative Order Values
Flexbox: Creating a Responsive Pricing Grid
- Nesting Flexbox
- Application of Flexbox Concepts to a Pricing Grid Layout
Bootstrap: Getting Started
- Using Bootstrap’s Grid System (Containers, Rows, & Columns)
- Creating Columns & Adding Content
- Adjusting Column Sizes Across Screen Sizes
- Using Some of Bootstrap’s Components & Pre-Made Styles
Bootstrap: More About Grids & Components
- Nesting Grids
- Adding a Navbar & Other Components
- Showing & Hiding Elements at Specific Sizes
Bootstrap: Spacing & Adapting Layout Across Screen Sizes
- Adding an Email Signup Form
- Adjusting Spacing
- Changing the Layout Across Screen Sizes
Intro to Grid
- Getting Start With Grid (Columns, Rows, & Gaps)
- The Explicit vs. Implicit Grid
- Firefox DevTools for Grid
Grid: Sizing & Placing Items Within the Grid
- Spanning Columns & Rows
- Placing & Sizing Using Numbered Grid Lines
- Naming Grid Lines
Grid: Minmax, Auto-Fit, & Auto-Fill
- Sizing with Minmax
- Auto-Fit vs. Auto-Fill
- Max-Content & Min-Content
Grid: Template Areas
- Setting Up Grid Template Areas
- Creating Empty Grid Areas
- Using Automatically Created Named Lines
- Multiple Elements Occupying the Same Grid Area
- Viewing Grid Template Area Names In Firefox’s DevTools
Grid: Alignment, Centering, & Reordering Content
- Aligning Grid Items
- Aligning Within the Grid Container
- Aligning Individual Grid Items
- Ordering Grid Items
Grid: Laying out an Article
- Using Grid to Lay Out an Article
- Making Elements Go Full-Width
- Adding Elements into the Side Columns
Grid: A Responsive Image Gallery (Masonry Layout)
- Creating the Grid Layout
- Enlarging Some Photos to Create a Masonry Layout
Frequently Asked Questions
Do I need to bring a computer?
No. We provide a computer with the necessary software for each attendee. Choose a Mac or a PC during the checkout process.
Are discounts available for this course?
No. This course is not eligible for any discounts.
We offer discounts for packages of classes, including our Excel Bootcamp, SQL Bootcamp, Data Analytics, and PowerPoint Bootcamp.
We also provide discounts for ten or more classes purchased together. Please reach out for more information on our voucher programs.
Does this course come with a book?
Yes. This course includes a complimentary book or manual at no additional cost.
What if I need to retake this course? May I retake it for free?
Yes. You may retake this course for free once within six months, provided that the class is running with an available seat. For more information, visit our policies page.