Motion graphics (or motion design) is a growing profession with its roots in video editing, animation, and graphic design. Creating engaging and meaningful motion graphics requires a technical knowledge of the software programs involved, as well as a knowledge of motion graphics workflow, an awareness of current and past visual styles and trends, and an ability to critique our own work and those of our collaborators.
Learn the principles of Motion Design and Build your Portfolio
This hands-on, individualized course will take your current software and design skills to the next level. You'll learn the principles of motion graphics and the best practices to create unique motion graphics from concept to completion, resulting in portfolio-worthy projects to show potential clients.
Get started with Motion Graphics Applications
See our full suite of motion graphics classes: Premiere Pro and After Effects.
Motion Graphics Certificate Program
Take our Premiere Pro and After Effects courses along with this one, to earn a Certificate in Motion Graphics.
More about the Motion Graphics Portfolio course
In this in-depth motion graphics course, you'll create several projects for your portfolio, including (but not limited to) a logo animation, a social media ad, an infographic animation, and a book or movie trailer.
Assignments will be critiqued by both the instructor and during group critiques. You'll then revise your work as needed, and finish the assignment either in class or outside of class as homework (you should expect to work outside of class). By the end of the Motion Design Portfolio course, our hope is that you'll have at least three finished motion graphics animations for your portfolio. The instructor is available throughout the course duration, to provide feedback and advice, both during and outside of class.
Prior experience with Adobe Photoshop, After Effects and basic graphic design skills, are required. Experience with Adobe Illustrator, Premiere Pro, and sound editing are highly recommended.
This course is offered at our design school, Noble Desktop. View upcoming dates and register for this course directly on Noble Desktop’s website.Register at nobledesktop.com
Video Training and Workbook Included
Students get a workbook and lifetime access to self-paced training videos, a $95 value.
Modern computer classroom with your choice of Mac or PC to work on.
Small In-Person Classes
Get personalized attention in small groups with an expert instructor in the classroom.
Refresh the course materials within six months for free as long as there's space in the class.
What You'll Learn
- An expanded knowledge of motion graphics concepts and workflows
- Improve your animation skills
- Understand the connection between graphic design and motion graphics
- Learn how to present your work and how to incorporate feedback from others
- Expand and develop your portfolio
Full Course SyllabusDownload PDF Outline
Logo Animation for Demo Reel Opener
- 12 principles of animation, 20 principles of graphic design
- Logo animation case studies
- Project organization
- Logo animation concept development and workflow
Branded Social Media Ad
- Critiquing student logo animation projects
- Social media ad case studies
- Understanding the brand
- Color management
- Creating a mood board
- Importing options: what will and won't import into AE
- Exporting options
Infographic Animation Part 1
- Critiquing student social media ad projects
- Infographics case studies
- Scriptwriting with imagery
- Animatics: storyboards timed to voiceover and music
- Workflow for infographics
Infographic Animation Part 2
- Critiquing student infographics storyboards/animatics
- Integrating animated characters into your graphics
- Creating meaningful animated transitions
Creating a Pitch: Inspiration Search
- Critiquing student infographic animation projects
- Movie/Book trailer case studies
- Style frame creation
- Video-and-graphics workflow options
- Creating content edits for video-based motion designs
Final Projects & Critiques
- Critiquing student movie/book trailer style frames and content edits
- Motion graphics heroes: who created it, and why it's great
- Demo reel/portfolio case studies. What makes a strong demo reel?
- Revision, completion and critique of final projects
- Next steps: continuing to expand our skills and portfolios
Frequently Asked Questions
Do I need to bring a computer?
No. We provide a computer with the necessary software for each attendee. Choose a Mac or a PC during the checkout process.
Are discounts available for this course?
No. This course is not eligible for any discounts.
We offer discounts for packages of classes, including our Excel Bootcamp, SQL Bootcamp, Data Analytics, and PowerPoint Bootcamp.
We also provide discounts for ten or more classes purchased together. Please reach out for more information on our voucher programs.
Does this course come with a book?
Yes. This course includes a complimentary book or manual at no additional cost.
What if I need to retake this course? May I retake it for free?
Yes. You may retake this course for free once within six months, provided that the class is running with an available seat. For more information, visit our policies page.