Add Back-End Functionality with PHP & MySQL
So you’re comfortable making static web pages, but now you want to have your site actually do something? PHP and MySQL unlock the dynamic power of the web allowing you to create pages that interact with customers, collect and display information from a database, send emails, and more.
Learn PHP & MySQL Fundamentals
This training introduces you to PHP and MySQL, giving you a fundamental understanding of those two building blocks of dynamic websites.
We’ll show you how to work with forms, sanitize user input for security, send emails, work with cookies to collect information on your users and upload files. You’ll interact with databases using SQL to fetch, insert, update, delete, and search records. You’ll learn how to use phpMyAdmin to create databases and tables, as well as data-typing and indexes.
What is PHP?
PHP is the web’s most popular server-side scripting language. Huge sites like Facebook, Wikipedia, Baidu, Tumblr and more run on it as it is fast, free, stable, and feature-rich. PHP can help bring your website to life, changing it from a static HTML-only experience to a two-way interactive user experience. PHP is the backbone of many web related activities that we take for granted, such as handling form submissions, powering e-commerce transactions, and interacting with a database.
In addition many of the most popular CMS (Content Management Systems) such as WordPress, Drupal, and Joomla are written in PHP. Understanding this language will enable you to have a deeper understanding of these web tools making them easier to customize for your needs.
What is MySQL?
What database is nearly always paired with PHP? MySQL. MySQL is the world’s most popular open source database. Your database can store customer information, product information, and much, much more. Together PHP and MySQL are available for free on nearly every host.
Prerequisite: Solid understanding of HTML, but you don’t need to have prior programming experience. Please note that to run a local server on each machine we use XAMPP (Free) for the PC and MAMP Pro ($69) for the Mac.
This course is offered at our design school, Noble Desktop. View upcoming dates and register for this course directly on Noble Desktop’s website.Register at nobledesktop.com
Students get a custom workbook with step-by-step instructions.
Modern computer classroom with your choice of Mac or PC to work on.
Small In-Person Classes
Get personalized attention in small groups with an expert instructor in the classroom.
Refresh the course materials within six months for free as long as there's space in the class.
What You'll Learn
- Use PHP to bring websites to life, turning static HTML into a two-way, user-interactive experience
- Get an introduction to the basics of PHP and MySQL
- Understand how PHP & MySQL can be used to handle form submissions, interact with databases, and more
- Gain a solid foundation of how PHP works, including working with forms, sessions, and more
- Learn the basics of MySQL, using SQL to fetch, insert, update, delete, and search records
Full Course SyllabusDownload PDF Outline
Basic PHP Syntax
- Echo, Strings, and Variables
- Single Quotes vs. Double Quotes
- Escaping Characters
Working with Numbers
- Arithmetic Operators
- Assignment Operators
- Table of Arithmetic Operators
- Table of Assignment Operators
- Defining a Site and Testing Server in Dreamweaver
- Comparison Operators
- Logical Operators
- The Difference Between == and ===
- Creating a simple array
- Using array()
- Multidimensional Arrays
- Printing an Entire Array Using print_r()
- While Loops
- For Loops
- Break Out of Loop
Working with Strings
- Comparing Strings
- Converting to Upper and Lower Case
- Searching Through Strings
- Case-Sensitive and Case-Insensitive
Form Basics and Security
- Post vs. Get
- Radios, Checkboxes, and Select Fields
- Magic Quotes
- Securing the page
- Using Functions
- Setting Up MAMP Pro
- Setting Up XAMPP and Mercury Mail
- Sending a Test Email
Simple Form Validation and Email
- Sanitizing Input
- Error Checking
- Displaying Errors
- Sending Email
- Adding a Thank You Page
- Including Files
- Adding Cookies
- Tracking the Number of Visits
- Sending an Email with the Cookie Info
- Starting a Session
- Using Session Variables
- Log In/Log Out
- Destroying Session Variables
- Making a File Upload Form
- The $_FILES Array
- Uploading Files
- Basic Security
Creating a Database/MySQL/SELECT
- Creating a New Database
- Connecting to the Database
- SQL Basics
- The SELECT Statement
- Display the Number of Rows Returned
- Making a Reusable Connection Script
- MySQL vs. MySQLi vs. PDO
Making a Reusable Connection Script
- Error Checking
- Making an Include
- Sorting Results
- Selecting and Filtering Results
- Preventing SQL Injection Attacks with Prepared Statements
- The INSERT Statement
- Using phpMyAdmin
- Inserting Information from a Form
- The UPDATE Statement
- Update Form
- Display Data in the Update Form
- Display Checkboxes
- Hidden Fields
- The DELETE Statement
- Deleting Rows from a Database
- Passing ID Variables in a URL
- Wildcard Searches
- Searching with a Form
Frequently Asked Questions
Do I need to bring a computer?
No. We provide a computer with the necessary software for each attendee. Choose a Mac or a PC during the checkout process.
Are discounts available for this course?
No. This course is not eligible for any discounts.
We offer discounts for packages of classes, including our Excel Bootcamp, SQL Bootcamp, Data Analytics, and PowerPoint Bootcamp.
We also provide discounts for ten or more classes purchased together. Please reach out for more information on our voucher programs.
Does this course come with a book?
Yes. This course includes a complimentary book or manual at no additional cost.
What if I need to retake this course? May I retake it for free?
Yes. You may retake this course for free once within six months, provided that the class is running with an available seat. For more information, visit our policies page.