With SQL you can answer questions using a database, the ultimate system of record for most organizations. As nearly every industry is moving toward being more data-driven, having this skill will give you a larger role in decision-making wherever you work.
This course will teach you how to explore, modify, and export data from a database. You’ll be introduced to foundational concepts like tables, data types, and queries. Once you understand the basics of viewing tables, you’ll be introduced to more advanced querying techniques like filtering and aggregating. You will be able to drill down into specific cases or step back and see larger patterns.
You’ll also learn how to combine information from different tables using join statements and views. The final day of the course will cover advanced techniques like creating subqueries and stored procedures.
Class Notes & Related Courses
- This course will use Postgres, an advanced open-source database.
- Concepts from this course will apply equally to other databases such as MySQL and SQL Server, with the minor syntax differences noted during class.
- A Mac or PC with PostgreSQL will be provided for use during the class.
- Register for this SQL Bootcamp at our coding school, Noble Desktop. For courses in SQL Server, see all our SQL classes and our SQL Server Bootcamp.
This course is offered at our design school, Noble Desktop. View upcoming dates and register for this course directly on Noble Desktop’s website.Register at nobledesktop.com
Students get a custom workbook with step-by-step instructions.
Modern computer classroom with your choice of Mac or PC to work on.
Small In-Person Classes
Get personalized attention in small groups with an expert instructor in the classroom.
Refresh the course materials within six months for free as long as there's space in the class.
What You'll Learn
- Explore and alter data using a graphical user interface
- Write queries to search through tables programmatically
- Understanding various data types and convert data between them
- Combine information across tables with join statements
- Advanced techniques like subqueries and stored procedures
Full Course SyllabusDownload PDF Outline
- What is a relational database?
- What is SQL?
- What is Postgres?
- Database tables
- Rows and columns
- Data types
Graphical User Interface
- Object Explorer
- Query Window
- Results Grid
- Setting Options
- Syntax of a SELECT statement
- Selecting specific columns
- Using a LIMIT clause
- Distinct records
- Using a WHERE clause
- Field and Table Aliases
Filtering and Aggregating
- Filtering with Text Criteria
- Wildcard Filters
- Filtering with Numeric Criteria
- Using SUM, COUNT and AVG
- Using MAX and MIN
- Group-by Statements
- Primary keys
- Foreign keys
- Data normalization
- Create statement
- Insert statement
- Nulls, empty strings and zeros
- Update Statement
- Setting Conflict Actions
- Inner Joins
- Full Outer Joins
- Left/Right Joins
- Creating a view
- Performance issues
- Querying JSON data
- Creating a stored procedure
- Temp Tables
- String Functions
- Cast Function
- Convert Function
- Rounding Functions
Dealing with CSVs
- Loading data from a CSV
- Exporting a table to CSV
Frequently Asked Questions
Do I need to bring a computer?
No. We provide a computer with the necessary software for each attendee. Choose a Mac or a PC during the checkout process.
Are discounts available for this course?
No. This course is not eligible for any discounts.
We offer discounts for packages of classes, including our Excel Bootcamp, SQL Bootcamp, Data Analytics, and PowerPoint Bootcamp.
We also provide discounts for ten or more classes purchased together. Please reach out for more information on our voucher programs.
Does this course come with a book?
Yes. This course includes a complimentary book or manual at no additional cost.
What if I need to retake this course? May I retake it for free?
Yes. You may retake this course for free once within six months, provided that the class is running with an available seat. For more information, visit our policies page.