In this course, you will be introduced to the field of data visualization and the various tools Tableau Public offers. Through concepts and exercises, you will learn to identify datasets to connect to, explore, analyze, filter and structure your data to create your desired visualizations.
Corporate training available
Video Training and Workbook Included
Students get a workbook and lifetime access to self-paced training videos, a $95 value.
Modern computer classroom with your choice of Mac or PC to work on.
Small In-Person Classes
Get personalized attention in small groups with an expert instructor in the classroom.
Refresh the course materials within six months for free as long as there's space in the class.
What You’ll Learn
- Understanding Data
- Creating Your First visualization
- Tableau Calculations
- Formatting Visualizations
- Manipulating Data in Tableau
- Advanced Visualization Tools
- Creating Dashboards & Stories
- Distributing & Publishing Your Visualization
Full Course SyllabusDownload PDF Outline
- What is data
- Where to find data
- Foundations for building Data Visualizations
Creating Your First visualization
- Getting started with Tableau Software
- Using Data file formats
- Connecting your Data to Tableau
- Creating basic charts (line, bar charts, Treemaps)
- Using the Show me panel
- Overview of SUM, AVR, and Aggregate features
- Creating custom calculations and fields
- Applying new data calculations to your visualization
- Formatting Tools and Menus
- Formatting specific parts of the view
- Editing and Formatting Axes
Manipulating Data in Tableau
- Cleaning-up the data with the Data Interpreter
- Structuring your data
- Sorting and filtering Tableau data
- Pivoting Tableau data
Advanced Visualization Tools
- Using Filters
- Using the Detail panel
- Using the Size panels
- Customizing filters
- Using and Customizing tooltips
- Formatting your data with colors
Creating Dashboards & Stories
- Using Storytelling
- Creating your first dashboard and Story
- Design for different displays
- Adding interactivity to your Dashboard
Distributing & Publishing Your Visualization
- Tableau file types
- Publishing to Tableau Online
- Sharing your visualization
- Printing and exporting
Frequently Asked Questions
Do I need to bring a computer?
No. We provide a computer with the necessary software for each attendee. Choose a Mac or a PC during the checkout process.
Are discounts available for this course?
No. This course is not eligible for any discounts.
We offer discounts for packages of classes, including our Excel Bootcamp, SQL Bootcamp, Data Analytics, and PowerPoint Bootcamp.
We also provide discounts for ten or more classes purchased together. Please reach out for more information on our voucher programs.
Does this course come with a book?
Yes. This course includes a complimentary book or manual at no additional cost.
What if I need to retake this course? May I retake it for free?
Yes. You may retake this course for free once within six months, provided that the class is running with an available seat. For more information, visit our policies page.