In this private training, you learn to lay out a multi-page document, insert photos, create text styles, master documents and pages, flow in copy from Microsoft Word, and print documents.
You'll create hands-on projects including text ads, magazine spreads, postcards, multiple page newsletters, and more.
This course is only available as one-on-one training. If you're interested in our Adobe group classes, please check our design school courses.
Corporate & private training available
Video Training and Workbook Included
Students get a workbook and lifetime access to self-paced training videos, a $95 value.
Modern computer classroom with your choice of Mac or PC to work on.
Small In-Person Classes
Get personalized attention in small groups with an expert instructor in the classroom.
Refresh the course materials within six months for free as long as there's space in the class.
What You'll Learn
- Work with typography to create a text ad
- Create a coupon using colors and gradients
- Add graphics to a postcard design
- Use master pages and grids to create a newsletter
- Adjust images for a Catalog Spread
- Apply Color Blends to a brochure
- Prepare files for print
“I enrolled in the 2 day InDesign training. Eugenio was my instructor, he is very knowledgeable of the Adobe suite. His teaching style is to have you learn through using the program, he is clear and thorough and takes time to answer questions outside of the curriculum. The class size was small so each person was given person attention. Eugenio taught us some fun tricks as well as professional skills to work smart and efficiently. I researched a number of other training centers before signing up with NYIM, I am very happy with my choice and will enroll in other courses. I would definitely recommend NYIM Training to anyone wanting to enroll. ”
— Cara D.
Full Course SyllabusDownload PDF Outline
Lesson 1—Getting to Know the InDesign Work Area
- Tools, submenus and palettes
- Setup up a new document
- Creating document
- Viewing the Document
Assignment 1: New Document Set up
Lesson 2—Working with Typography
- Creating Text Frames
- Flowing copy
- Changing fonts and paragraph alignment
- Importing copy and entering it into frames
- Text frame options
- Spell Checking
Assignment 2: Text Ad
Lesson 3—Working with Color
- Applying color to objects
- Creating dashed lines
- Working with gradients
- Creating and applying swatches and gradient swatches
- Creating a tint
- Multicolor gradient
Assignment 3: Create Coupon
Lesson 3—Working with Images
- Placing graphics
- Stacking and text wrap
- Align multiple objects
Project 1: Nightclub Postcard
Lesson 4—Master Pages and Grids
- Creating Master pages
- Linking Master pages
- Editing master page items
- Keep spreads together and deleting pages
- Guides, preferences baseline grid
- The Layers palette
Assignment 4: Set up Master Pages for Newsletter
Lesson 5—Style Sheets and Fine-Tuning Text
- Different text flow options
- Creating and applying styles
- Importing Styles from another document
- Creating a footer and Special Characters
- Finding and changing formatting and special characters
- Finding and changing a missing font
- Creating text on a path
- Working with tabs
- Drop shadows
Assignment 5: Update Newsletter
Lesson 6—Image Manipulation in InDesign
- The Links palette and how to update and edit graphics in other applications
- Changing display settings
- Clipping Pages (Removing a white background)
- Examining Photoshop paths and alpha channels
- Importing Illustrator files
- Placing PDF files
Assignment 6: Adjust Images for Catalog Spread
Assignment 7: Apply Color Blends to Brochure
Lesson 7—Preparing Files for Print
- Transparency flattener preview
- Ink Manager
- Determining how graphics print
- Setting options for fonts
- Creating a PDF preset
- Exporting to PDF
- Packaging an InDesign File
Project 2: Four Page Magazine Layout
Frequently Asked Questions
Do I need to bring a computer?
No. We provide a computer with the necessary software for each attendee. Choose a Mac or a PC during the checkout process.
Are discounts available for this course?
No. This course is not eligible for any discounts.
We offer discounts for packages of classes, including our Excel Bootcamp, SQL Bootcamp, Data Analytics, and PowerPoint Bootcamp.
We also provide discounts for ten or more classes purchased together. Please reach out for more information on our voucher programs.
Does this course come with a book?
Yes. This course includes a complimentary book or manual at no additional cost.
What if I need to retake this course? May I retake it for free?
Yes. You may retake this course for free once within six months, provided that the class is running with an available seat. For more information, visit our policies page.