In this course, we will explore various financial investments, including stocks, bonds, options, and real estate, with an emphasis on stock investing. We will cover how to invest in these asset classes and how prices are determined by market participants.
What You'll Learn
- Is the stock market gambling?
- Investment essentials for stocks, bonds, options, and real estate
- Understand how the stock market works
- What are stock indexes and ETFs?
- How to make investments and trading terminology
- How investments are valued by market participants
- Evaluate which investments are appropriate for you
- What caused the financial crisis?
- Is purchasing a home a good investment?
- How should I invest my retirement account?
- Explore various investing strategies
What is the goal of this course?
In this course, we strive to provide you with an understanding of how financial markets work and create a foundational knowledge to build upon.
Will this course make me rich?
No. This course does not provide get-rich-quick schemes to profit from the stock market. Rather, we provide a framework for you to approach making sound investments across asset classes. We stress "value investing" principles which require patience and a long-term outlook.
Register for a Class
Choose a date below to add it to your cart. At checkout, you can change the quantity for multiple registrants, add other classes, and change your dates.
Corporate training available
Full Course SyllabusDownload PDF Outline
- What are stocks?
- What are stock indexes?
- What are Exchange Traded Funds (ETFs)?
- How are stocks traded?
- Bid/ask prices
- Market versus limits orders
- What drives stock movements?
- How are stocks valued?
- Price to Earnings ratios
- Dividend yields
- What are bonds?
- What are the different types of bonds?
- What are bond yields?
- What are credit rating agencies?
- What are investment-grade and junk bonds?
- Call provisions
- What is yield to worst?
Real Estate Investing
- What are the different types of real estate?
- What are REITs?
- What are cap rates?
- What is a loan-to-value (LTV) ratio?
- How does leverage impact returns?
Stock Options (Bonus topic)
- What are stock options?
- Call versus put options
- Black-Scholes Model
Financial Crisis 101 (Bonus Topic)
- What are mortgage-backed securities?
- What are credit default swaps?
- How did the housing marketing collapse spread to the major banks and other financial institutions?
- Who is to blame for the financial crisis? (regulators, investment banks, homeowners, mortgage lenders, rating agencies)