In this course, we will explore various financial investments, including stocks, bonds, and real estate, with an emphasis on stock investing. We will cover how to invest in these asset classes and how the valuations are determined by market participants.
Stock Market Investing 101
What You'll Learn
- Investment essentials for stocks, bonds, and real estate
- How to make investments
- How investments are valued by market participants
- Evaluate which investments are appropriate for you
Full Course SyllabusDownload PDF Outline
- What are stocks?
- What are stock indexes?
- What are Exchange Traded Funds (ETFs)?
- How are stocks traded?
- Bid/ask prices
- Market versus limits orders
- What drives stock movements?
- How are stocks valued?
- Price to Earnings ratios
- Dividend yields
- What are bonds?
- What are the different types of bonds?
- What are bond yields?
- What are credit rating agencies?
- What are investment-grade and junk bonds?
- Call provisions
- What is yield to worst?
Real Estate Investing
- What are the different types of real estate?
- What are REITs?
- What are cap rates?
- What is a loan-to-value (LTV) ratio?
- How does leverage impact returns?
Stock Options (Bonus topic)
- What are stock options?
- Call versus put options
- Black-Scholes Model
Financial Crisis 101 (Bonus Topic)
- What are mortgage-backed securities?
- What are credit default swaps?
- How did the housing marketing collapse spread to the major banks and other financial institutions?
- Who is to blame for the financial crisis? (regulators, investment banks, homeowners, mortgage lenders, rating agencies)