Learn what moves stock prices and how stocks are valued by investors. In this course, you will learn the essentials of valuation (such as P/E ratios and DCF analysis), financial statements, and fundamentals of stock investing. We will analyze recent earnings releases and valuation multiples of companies such as Google and Apple to provide a framework for fundamental investment research.
The class strives to provide participants with a sound understanding of how financial markets work, rather than providing get-rich-quick trading schemes. The principles taught in this course are stressed by value investors such as Warren Buffett and Benjamin Graham.
What You'll Learn
- Fundamentals of stocks, bonds, options, and real estate
- How are stocks valued by market participants
- How to find financial reports, earnings estimates, and other data
- Investing principles to build sustainable profits over a long period
- What caused and what can we learn from the Dot-com Bubble and the Financial Crisis
Register for a Class
Choose a date below to add it to your cart. At checkout, you can change the quantity for multiple registrants, add other classes, and change your dates.
We provide computers to use during class. This course is available on PC only.
Corporate training available
Full Course SyllabusDownload PDF Outline
- Stock fundamentals
- Stock indices
- Dividend yields
- Exchange traded funds
- Market capitalization
- Enterprise value
- P/E Ratios
- Shortfalls of P/E ratios
- EV/EBITDA multiples
- Intro to DCF modeling
- CAPM and cost of capital
- Earnings releases
- Analyst earnings estimates
- Economic data
- Interest rates and the Federal Reserve
- Earnings transcripts and company presentations
- Types of bonds
- Bond prices, yields, and spreads
- Credit ratings and risk
Intro to Real Estate Investing
- Types of real estate assets
- Real Estate Investment Trusts (REITS)
- Capitalization rates
- Mortgages and loan-to-value (LTV) ratios
- How does leverage impact returns?
- Call options
- Put options
- Option strategies and hedging
- Black-Scholes Model
- Mortgage-backed securities
- Credit default swaps
- How did the housing marketing collapse spread to the major banks and other financial institutions?
- Who is to blame for the financial crisis? (regulators, investment banks, homeowners, mortgage lenders, rating agencies)