Learn what moves stock prices and how stocks are valued by investors. In this course, you will learn the essentials of valuation (such as P/E ratios and DCF analysis), financial statements, and fundamentals of stock investing. We will analyze recent earnings releases and valuation multiples of companies such as Google and Apple to provide a framework for fundamental investment research.
The class strives to provide participants with a sound understanding of how financial markets work, rather than providing get-rich-quick trading schemes. The principles taught in this course are stressed by value investors such as Warren Buffett and Benjamin Graham.
What You'll Learn
- Fundamentals of stocks, bonds, options, and real estate
- How are stocks valued by market participants
- How to find financial reports, earnings estimates, and other data
- Investing principles to build sustainable profits over a long period
- What caused and what can we learn from the Dot-com Bubble and the Financial Crisis
Corporate & private training available
Video Training and Workbook Included
Students get a workbook and lifetime access to self-paced training videos, a $95 value.
Modern computer classroom with a PC for each student to work on.
Small In-Person Classes
Get personalized attention in small groups with an expert instructor in the classroom.
Refresh the course materials within six months for free as long as there's space in the class.
Full Course SyllabusDownload PDF Outline
- Stock fundamentals
- Stock indices
- Dividend yields
- Exchange traded funds
- Market capitalization
- Enterprise value
- P/E Ratios
- Shortfalls of P/E ratios
- EV/EBITDA multiples
- Intro to DCF modeling
- CAPM and cost of capital
- Earnings releases
- Analyst earnings estimates
- Economic data
- Interest rates and the Federal Reserve
- Earnings transcripts and company presentations
- Types of bonds
- Bond prices, yields, and spreads
- Credit ratings and risk
Intro to Real Estate Investing
- Types of real estate assets
- Real Estate Investment Trusts (REITS)
- Capitalization rates
- Mortgages and loan-to-value (LTV) ratios
- How does leverage impact returns?
- Call options
- Put options
- Option strategies and hedging
- Black-Scholes Model
- Mortgage-backed securities
- Credit default swaps
- How did the housing marketing collapse spread to the major banks and other financial institutions?
- Who is to blame for the financial crisis? (regulators, investment banks, homeowners, mortgage lenders, rating agencies)
Frequently Asked Questions
Do I need to bring a computer?
No. We provide a computer with the necessary software for each attendee. This course is available on Windows PC only.
Are discounts available for this course?
No. This course is not eligible for any discounts.
We offer discounts for packages of classes, including our Excel Bootcamp, SQL Bootcamp, Data Analytics, and PowerPoint Bootcamp.
We also provide discounts for ten or more classes purchased together. Please reach out for more information on our voucher programs.
Does this course come with a book?
Yes. This course includes a complimentary book or manual at no additional cost.
What if I need to retake this course? May I retake it for free?
Yes. You may retake this course for free once within six months, provided that the class is running with an available seat. For more information, visit our policies page.