Learn how SQL is used within relational database management systems. Connect to SQL Server and write queries with conditions. Use functions to calculate and format data before it’s presented on screen. In SQL Level 1, you’ll learn everything you need to write SQL queries on your own.
More on SQL Level 1
This course provides essential training in the basics of three core components:
- Relational DBMSs: Gain a solid understanding of Relational Database Management Systems (RDBMSs), how they are structured, and how SQL is used to manage databases.
- SQL: Begin writing SQL code, including SELECT statements. Learn to sort, filter, and format data and produce reports based on your queries.
- Microsoft SQL Server: Launch SQL Server and learn how to use SQL within one of the most popular DBMSs used worldwide.
You will work through practical hands-on exercises, writing real SQL code and reinforcing your knowledge of database architecture along the way. At the end of this course, you’ll understand how to write SQL queries in Microsoft SQL Server and apply your skills to other DBMSs that are compatible with SQL, such as MySQL. The course includes our custom manual as well as a free retake within months.
- Small classes
- Computer provided
- Book included
- Free retake
What You'll Learn
- Fundamentals of Relational Databases
- What is SQL and SQL Server?
- Major clauses including SELECT and FROM
- Sort data with ORDER BY clause
- Filter and group data with WHERE, GROUP BY, HAVING
- Simplify queries with aliases
- Extract data with queries
- Use inner joins to pull data from multiple tables
- Summarize data with aggregate functions: SUM, AVERAGE, MIN, MAX, COUNT
“SQL Level 1 is a great course to introduce you to writing SQL queries. Starting with the basics, by the end you will understand complex queries with inner or outer joins. Peter was our instructor and his customized course material is very well laid out with practical examples. You work on a local sample database, so you can type notes and test your queries to better understand the output you get. The facility is neat, the equipment is fairly new and ready to use, and beverages are provided.”
— Martie B.
Full Course SyllabusDownload PDF Outline
1) Microsoft SQL Server
2) What is SQL?
3) What are Relational Databases?
The Graphic User Interface
4) Object Explorer
5) Query Window
6) Results Grid
8) Basic Clauses
9) Field and Table Aliases
10) Creative use of Aliases
11) Inner Table Joins
13) Distinct Records
14) Text Criteria & Operators
15) Wildcard Filters
16) Numeric Criteria & Operators
Beginner SQL Classes New York City
Learn database fundamentals—Write Database Queries with SQL
SQL is the most commonly used coding language in databases around the world. SQL Level I covers the fundamentals of relational databases, Microsoft SQL Server, and the SQL database language. Learn how databases store data within tables and how to write queries to understand data.
At the end of this course, you’ll be able to do the following:
- Define a database and describe how it manages data
- Explain the difference between SQL and DBMSs
- Connect and write queries using Microsoft SQL Server
- Write SQL queries
Save 15% and Become a SQL Expert in 3 Days!
Is your ultimate goal to become a SQL pro? Go from Beginner to Expert in three days with our SQL bootcamp. You’ll start out with the same basic training in SQL fundamentals, and quickly move to advanced functions and creating SQL databases and storing SQL code to automate workflow. Best of all, you’ll save 15%!
After learning these foundational components, you’ll be comfortable conducting SQL queries in SQL Server, or another DBMS, such as MySQL, PostgreSQL, Microsoft Access, or MariaDB.
Our experienced instructor will guide you through a variety of queries, including wildcard filters and multi-table queries with inner and outer joins. At the end of the class, apply the skills you’ve learned in a series of practice tasks. Our course workbook includes step-by-step instructions for each activity so you can brush up on the tasks at work or home.
Why Take SQL Classes in NYC at NYIM?
At NYIM, we provide everything you need for SQL Level 1. Exploring SQL and not sure if you’re ready to commit? This is the perfect course for you. We supply computers (PC), SQL software, and course workbooks for each student that enrolls in our classes.
Within six months of completing the class, you can retake the course again at no additional charge. SQL Level 1 is the perfect course for beginners or individuals that would like to know the basics of databases and queries.